Dara Hendrix moderated the breakout session “Building Harmony: Achieving Work/Life Balance for Women in the Construction Industry” during the Women in Construction Conference. Jeryn Koritzinsky took part in the session, along with Brit’ne Brown (Project Manager, Southland Industries), Michelle Rada (Pre-Construction Manager, Jacobs), and Latrena Owens (Executive Director, Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED), District of Columbia).
Participants examined personal challenges and discussed practical strategies to manage pressures faced by women working in the construction industry, where long hours, physically demanding work, and traditional biases can pose significant hurdles to achieving a harmonious work/life balance.
Participants engaged in an interactive discussion, gained essential tools, and learned from industry experts who have experienced unique challenges and developed strategies for effectively managing the complexities of work and personal life.
Key topics included:
- Recognizing the importance of work/life balance in promoting well-being and productivity
- Identifying personal values and priorities to align work and personal life effectively
- Exploring practical strategies for time management, stress reduction, and boundary-setting
- Overcoming common challenges faced by women in the construction industry and finding support systems
- Enhancing communication skills to effectively negotiate work schedules and responsibilities
- Developing self-care practices and maintaining mental and physical health in a demanding profession
- Cultivating resilience and maintaining motivation in the face of setbacks or work-related stressors