Raymond C. Kolls is a managing director and a co-leader of BRG’s Economics and Damages community. He also co-leads BRG’s Client Relationship Management Committee, which addresses commercial and client relations issues relating to new business intake. He serves as a Listing Qualifications Panel member on the NASDAQ Stock Market LLC.
Mr. Kolls has a unique and varied background as a consultant and lawyer. He has over twenty years of experience as a senior in-house legal and consulting firm executive and general counsel. An attorney by training, he started his career as a trial lawyer and, before entering consulting, served as the general counsel of US public companies in the heavily regulated and intellectual property–intensive life sciences industry. As a litigator, he has tried cases to verdict including submission of evidence by experts. As a general counsel, he has executed over $3.5 billion in mergers and acquisitions and other strategic transactions worldwide.
Mr. Kolls has significant healthcare experience, including government investigations and False Claims Act litigation. He has extensive familiarity with litigation management, compliance (including anti-corruption), and the handling of corporate and internal investigations. He has led corporate legal departments and teams of external lawyers and consultants on numerous major projects. He started his career at the international law firm Morgan Lewis & Bockius, where he practiced labor and employment law for clients such as American Airlines and Major League Baseball.
Mr. Kolls’ recent representative projects include:
- Coordinating privileged data analytics and damages consulting teams in multiple high-profile, complex pharmaceutical, medical device, managed care, and provider industry litigations and investigations, including matters that by scale of claimed damages are among the largest legal matters ever litigated in US legal history.
- Consulting relating to defense strategy and expert teams for multiple federal False Claims Act cases alleging fraud and abuse arising from provider, laboratory, organ transplant, cardiac and other facilities, and clinical specialties.
- Coordinating expert teams in multiple products liability, mass tort, wage and hour, and consumer class action matters involving issues of class certification defense, data analytics, and damages.
- Consulting with multiple potential plaintiffs considering whether to opt out of a proposed class antitrust settlement in the electric power generation industry.
- Coordinating a consulting team’s activity on a complex securities litigation matter involving application of the short-swing profit rules to certain classes of derivative securities.
Mr. Kolls is a frequent speaker and author. He spoke at the October 2018 Meeting of the Network of Trial Law Firms on litigation management and alternative fee arrangements with consulting firms; and at the February 2018 meeting of the International Association of Defense Counsel on risk management and conflict of interest concepts in the modern litigation consulting firm. He has also spoken to the AdvaMed Legal Committee and the AdvaMed Northern California Legal and Compliance Roundtable. His presentation topics have included “Current Trends in Healthcare Regulatory Enforcement,” “Early Case Evaluation and Damages Analysis Utilizing Structured and Unstructured Data,” and “Federal Monitors Exercise Extensive Unregulated Power under Deferred Prosecution Agreements: Lessons from the Front.” He is the coauthor (with Heiko E. Burow) of “Basic Concepts and Issues: A Primer on Distribution and Sales Representative Agreements in the Medical Device and Durable Medical Equipment Industries” (Journal of Health Law 39:2, Spring 2006, American Health Lawyers Association).
Georgetown University Law Center
News & Insights
- Court Grants New Trial in AseraCare Hospice Case, Holding It Erred by Failing to Instruct Jury Regarding Standard for Proof of “Objective Falsity” in FCA False Certification CasesAHLA Fraud and Abuse Practice alertNovember 13, 2015
- AHLA Fraud and Abuse Practice alertJanuary 30, 2014
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- January 31, 2020
- August 2, 2019
- April 25-28, 2019
- October 26, 2018
- February 10-15, 2018
- June 26-29, 2016
- September 10, 2015
News & Commentary
- AHLAJune 30, 2015
- Raymond Kolls Appointed Vice Chair for AHLA Alternative Dispute Resolution Affinity Educational ProgramsMay 14, 2015
- American Health Lawyers AssociationDecember 22, 2014