Phil Crooks is a Chartered Accountant with over forty years of experience in accounting, auditing, and investigations. He has acted as advisory and testifying expert in connection with litigation, arbitration, and regulatory matters. Previously, he was an audit partner at a large firm and has acted as expert on a range of forensic accounting matters.
Mr. Crooks was a partner in a large accounting firm for over twenty years. He was UK head of audit and had responsibilities including setting the strategy and overseeing audit quality for the firm. He gained extensive experience of quality review programs, internal investigations, and liaising with regulators. Before that, he was in audit at a Big Four firm for fifteen years. His earlier career included accounts preparation, providing insight into how accounts are put together, knowledge that he has applied in investigations, due diligence, and other forensic work.
Mr. Crooks' more than forty years of audit experience has been across a range of sectors and businesses of varying size and complexity. He has audited UK businesses with overseas operations as well as UK subsidiaries of US and other overseas parents. This has included family businesses, private-equity backed and plc entities. The sectors have included construction, education, retail, manufacturing, technology, and services. His recent audit experience has included a PE backed buy-and-build group in the private education sector and a UK listed company constructing a port in India. On the former, he acted as audit partner for a ten-year period, from the formation of the business and its subsequent acquisition of thirty schools in the UK and schools in Singapore, Spain, Thailand, Vietnam, Chile, and Brazil.
Mr. Crooks’ audit-related expert assignments before joining BRG included:
- advising lawyers and insolvency specialists on the audit work carried out by auditors in respect of entities subject to frauds
- acting as testifying expert on whether an audit should have discovered a multimillion-dollar fraud
- advising on the scope and adequacy of audit work in connection with a family dispute
- advising audit partners and firms subject to formal complaint by the regulator
- advising on professional negligence claims against auditors and accountants
Mr. Crooks’ other expert assignments before joining BRG included:
- investigation into allegations of accounting misstatements in connection with £billion civil litigation and regulatory investigation in the UK and wire fraud in the US
- testifying expert on the tracing of monies in a £250 million fraud
- reviewing and challenging the support for a large warranty claim arising from an accounting "black hole"
- acting as testifying and advisory expert in connection with disputes arising from sale and purchase agreements
- acting as testifying expert on the accounting treatment of tax schemes
Mr. Crooks is a nonexecutive director of a UK listed business and chair of the Audit and Risk Committee. He is also chairman of a charity.
1998 - 2019
Audit senior to director
1983 - 1998
Neville Russell (now Mazars)
1981 - 1983
1979 - 1981
News & Insights
- BRGMay 4, 2020
News & Commentary
- Financial DirectorMay 12, 2020
- BRGOctober 29, 2019
FCA, Fellow Chartered Accountant in England & Wales
Chair of small local charity