Joe Arruda is a supply chain expert with more than twenty-five years of experience in healthcare, including startup, academic medical centers, non-acute, and for-profit organizations. He has experience developing and executing supply chain strategy, implementing operational efficiencies, building and turning around underperforming programs and teams, improving operating income, and freeing up working capital for reinvestment into new products and services. He brings frontline experience working in large, integrated delivery systems, where he has implemented sustainable process improvements and decreased costs through negotiation, clinical engagement and strategic sourcing, analytics, and reduction in variation of practices.
Before joining BRG | Prism, Mr. Arruda developed new products and services for the country’s largest member-driven healthcare performance improvement company. He was also a supply chain executive for an academic health system, where he led all aspects of supply chain operations and strategy, including vendor management and procurement, physician engagement, contracting/purchasing, accounts payable, inventory management, establishment of value analysis teams, and a system support model.
Mr. Arruda’s representative engagements and expertise before joining BRG | Prism included:
- Led $1.7 billion in procurement across nineteen facilities of products and services, including construction equipment, food, supplies, and information technology, delivering $85 million in savings in three years.
- Designed and built innovative spend database process and analytics platform, including online ordering, and improved spend capture by category.
- Led system-wide food strategy, improving topline performance by $5 million.
- Developed diversity program and increased spend from 1 percent of total spend to 4.9 percent, or $50 million.
- Revamped design and construction departments to create healing environment for patients and families, develop construction standards, and lower costs by 15 percent.
- Led $2 billion in procurement for national ambulatory surgical care network, driving $12 million in savings in first seven months.
- Created and implemented product standardization programs that increased pharmaceutical market share on anesthesia gas from 52 percent to 87 percent in thirty days, resulting in $1.2 million in savings.
MBA, Finance and Healthcare
Prism Healthcare Partners
Vice president, Enterprise Growth and Development
Indiana University Health
Vice president, Supply Chain, Accounts Payable, and Design and Construction
Surgical Care Affiliates/Healthsouth
Senior vice president, Operations Support
Vice president, Supply Chain Management
Partners Healthcare System
Licensed Emergency Medical Technician