Paul Osborne applies more than twenty years of operations improvement experience to healthcare provider clients including hospitals, health systems, academic medical centers, and physician practices. He has held senior leadership positions with some of the largest healthcare consulting and financial advisory firms in the United States.
Mr. Osborne is a recognized national expert in healthcare performance improvement, having assisted both financially distressed and financially stable hospitals in improving their operating margins. He has extensive experience advising and implementing performance improvement solutions to healthcare provider clients as they overcome complex financial challenges. He has successfully led some of the country’s largest and most complex hospital performance improvement engagements.
Representative examples of Mr. Osborne's engagement experience include:
- Led a comprehensive performance-improvement engagement for a major academic medical center with over $2 billion in annual net revenues. The engagement focused on reducing cost by approximately $125 million through traditional performance-improvement methodologies around labor cost and supply cost, as well as leading-edge clinical redesign and revenue-cycle improvements.
- Served as the chief implementation officer leading a financial turnaround for a three-hospital health system in Virginia. With a focus on cost reduction and improvements in revenue cycle processes, he led the organization to a $25-million operating margin improvement and returned the system to profitability.
- Led a major performance improvement engagement for a $1-billion health system in the mid-Atlantic. Targeted improvements focused on labor cost reduction, supply and purchased service cost reduction, revenue-cycle improvements, length-of-stay reductions, reductions in physician expenses, savings in human resource expenses, and revenue improvements from improved clinical documentation. He helped the organization achieve a combined $53 million in improvements.
University of San Diego
BBA, Business Economics, 1989
Huron Consulting Group (Wellspring Partners)
2006 - 2011
2001 - 2006
Advisory Board Company
2000 - 2001
1994 - 2000
Worked with Academic Medical Center to help build dynamic capabilities that improved physician engagement and modified physician practices through detailed facilitation and data analytics review.
News & Insights
- California Management Review 58(4)Summer 2016
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- February 24-27, 2019
- July 28-31, 2015
- October 9, 2014
- September 24-26, 2014
- January 10, 2013
News & Commentary
- The DayMay 16, 2014
- Healthcare Risk Management 35(3)March 2013
- Press releaseSeptember 20, 2011