James McHugh is a seasoned healthcare technology and automation expert. He is an expert in technology automation, performance improvement, electronic medical record (EMR) implementations, and revenue-cycle management. He blends his operational experience with deep technical expertise.
He was a cofounder of a revenue-cycle-focused consulting firm and brings more than eighteen years of healthcare consulting experience helping community hospitals, health systems, and academic medical centers improve their operational and financial performance using technology.
As a former partner at a global management consulting company, Mr. McHugh has advised executives and boards on technology implementation strategies to maximize their investments and improve operational processes. He is a recognized revenue-cycle expert and has deep EMR and automation expertise.
Mr. McHugh’s project experience before joining BRG included:
- Led EMR implementation engagements at large academic medical centers focused on risk mitigation, with all clients achieving above top-quartile performance, as measured by the EMR vendor
- Implemented Innovation Center of Excellence model focused on driving enterprise-wide technology enhancements
- Developed robotic process automation (RPA) service offering for revenue cycle, IT, Supply Chain, and corporate services
- Developed clinical pathway design product powered by artificial intelligence
- Performed interim management duties for large health systems during transitional periods
Mr. McHugh serves on the advisory board for Loyola University Chicago’s Quinlan School of Business and is active in other personal philanthropic activities.
Impact Advisors, LLC
Managing Director, 2020 – 2021
Partner and Managing Director, 2016 – 2020
McKinnis Consulting Services
Co-Founder and Managing Director, 2009 – 2016
Huron Consulting Group
Associate, 2005 – 2009
Areas of Expertise
University of Colorado
MBA, Healthcare Administration
Loyola University, Chicago
BBA, Finance and Economics