David Abshier has over thirty years of financial services and executive management experience in a variety of functions.
These include management, strategy, and regulatory consulting/advisory services, expert testimony, chief credit officer, chief risk officer (risk assessment manager), BSA/AML officer, corporate compliance manager, senior certified federal bank examiner, financial and credit analyst, and branch operations officer.
Mr. Abshier provides expert, consulting, and advisory services to large and small financial institutions throughout the United States and overseas. Projects often include senior advisory and/or expert services focusing on safety and soundness/risk management, regulatory enforcement, consumer compliance, and protections such as RESPA, TILA, UDAAP, BSA/AML compliance, and technology.
Areas of Expertise
University of Southern California
BA, International Finance
- Conducts regulatory and financial advisory services for financial institutions including “troubled” institutions
- Conducts assessments and expert testimony regarding mortgage banking practices including loan origination, underwriting, repurchase claims and loan servicing
- Provides expert review and testimony on commercial and residential mortgage loan securitization (CMBS & RMBS)
- Regularly provides regulatory advisory, system assessments, validations and testing of Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering (BSA/AML) compliance
- Consults on OFAC and economic sanctions compliance for regional banks
- Conducts “Look-back” transaction reviews for consumer protection laws such as RESPA, TILA, UADDP, Fair Lending and BSA/AML compliance covering over 20 million transactions
- Provides corporate governance and enterprise-wide risk management (ERM) reviews for commercial and community banks
- Regularly provides credit risk management and due diligence assessments
- Regularly assesses consumer compliance laws and protections including OCC, FDIC and CFPB enforcement actions
- Regularly provides advisory services regarding enforcement actions and regulatory issues
- Conducts independent director and management reviews for strategic and regulatory purposes
- Tests internal control processes and standards of care practices for bank and non-bank financial institutions
- Conducts strategic planning, business planning and financial analysis for a variety of commercial and community banks
- Provides expert testimony and litigation support on a variety of matters