Annette Munson is an advanced practice nurse and seasoned healthcare consultant with over thirty years of experience in the healthcare industry.
A specialist in revenue cycle management for twenty years, she has extensive expertise in patient access, case management, DNFB (discharged not final billed) reduction, and accounts receivable (AR) management for both hospitals and physician practices.
Before joining BRG, Ms. Munson was a management consultant in the Revenue Cycle Services healthcare division of a multinational technology company. In this role, she served as the project director for comprehensive ICD-10 implementation assessments for multifacility provider systems and regional health services. She also was responsible for development of case management and clinical documentation improvement methodology and tools.
Representative examples of Ms. Munson’s engagement experience before joining BRG include:
- Interim director of revenue cycle operations, overseeing legacy AR closeout and post go-live AR management during conversion for two hospitals and twenty-five primary and specialty care physician practices. During her tenure, the client:
- Reduced DNFB from $17 million to $8 million within four months of go-live
- Increased cash to pre go-live baseline within six months of go-live
- Project director for comprehensive revenue cycle assessment and assisted with the client’s implementation of $6 million to $10 million portfolio of initiatives, including pre-arrival processing, strategies for improving self-pay payments and bad debt recoveries, cash acceleration, and denial reduction
- Project lead assisting with the client’s reduction of medical necessity write-offs for a 1,200+ bed university health system and identification of $3 million in net revenue improvement through system enhancements, coding workflow revisions, and provider education
- Project manager responsible for providing implementation services in support of $3.9 million in net revenue improvement and cost-saving initiatives, including transcription outsourcing, denial write-off reduction, and vendor contract renegotiation
- Revenue cycle subject-matter expert in clinical-fiscal integration with a focus on quality reporting and reimbursement, care facilitation, and clinical documentation.
- Led operational improvements in utilization management with an emphasis on staff education and training on revenue cycle fundamentals
Midwest Regional Medical Center
Director of resource management
Director of case management
R1 (formerly Accretive Health)
Director client services
Cap Gemini/Ernst & Young Health Care Consulting
U.S. Army Nurse Corps
Healthcare Financial Management Association
American Case Management Association
Sigma Theta Tau
Certified Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
University of Rochester
University of Pennsylvania
Board of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners, National Certification