Higher Education Disputes & Investigations
BRG professionals advise educational clients in traversing a unique regulatory environment.
Comprehensive investigative and financial consulting services.
BRG’s Higher Education Investigations practice provides comprehensive investigative and financial consulting services to both public and proprietary post-secondary schools.
What We Do
BRG professionals advise educational clients in traversing a unique regulatory environment by providing the following services:
- Student loan and account reviews
- Graduate outcome and class-profile reporting assessments and audits
- Incentive compensation analysis
- Sponsored research, grants, and contracts compliance advisory
- Forensic accounting
- Statistical analysis
- eDiscovery services
- Computer forensics
- Compliance reviews
Who We Are
The BRG investigative team consists of former state and federal prosecutors, lawyers with deep experience in education law and compliance, technology experts, CPAs, former Big Four auditing partners, former university officials and prominent academics, Certified Fraud Examiners, and seasoned private investigators.
Projects conducted by BRG investigative team members have included*:
- Investigated qui tam and whistleblower claims alleging fraudulent graduate outcome and class-profile reporting.
- Investigated claims that false financial information was submitted to accrediting organizations and governmental bodies.
- Served as outside consultant providing forensic accounting and technology support to a chain of schools under investigation by the Department of Justice and Department of Education for alleged misuse of money awarded to the schools from the Universal Access Fund for internet connectivity projects.
- Investigated claims of embezzlement and other fraud charges against the former director of budget and finance at an educational publishing and software company.
- Investigated a shortfall in the type and amount of collateral supporting securitized student-loan financing facilities.
- Served as a consulting expert for a for-profit tutoring company whose executives were indicted on charges that they allegedly bribed school officials and submitted false billing and student progress reports. The assignment involved statistical analysis and review of all accounting, billing, and program records.
- Advised a for-profit educational entity with its response to a governmental investigation and U.S. Senate Committee Document Request. Work included leading a team of more than 35 professionals to obtain electronic and hard-copy information relating to student loan records, payment records, application processes, and other documents.
- Investigated allegations of campus sexual harassment charges. As part of the investigation, captured school-sponsored and select student social media postings from Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
* Some engagements took place prior to an expert joining BRG.
Explore Related Insights
BRG Collaborates with Baylor Law to Provide AI/ML Content
September 17, 2020
The Future of Litigation Management
September 16, 2020
ThinkSet Podcast: Anniversary of the New Enlightenment Conference
How Universities Can Behave Like Entrepreneurial Organizations
June 5, 2019
Managing Campus Entrepreneurship: Dynamic Capabilities and University Leadership
May 14, 2019
Academic Year-End Review: Current Issues in Higher Education
May 22, 2018
Our industry knowledge is broad and deep.
BRG combines intellectual rigor with practical, real-world experience. We have an in-depth understanding of industries and markets, with expertise spanning the major sectors of the global economy. Following are some of the many sectors that we know inside and out.