Douglas Hawkins, RN, BSN, MBA, is a healthcare professional with more than twenty years of experience in long-term-care facilities, emergency medical services, acute care facilities, ED physician practice management, and corporate leadership roles.
He is a lean operations expert who has worked with numerous hospitals to increase capacity and help organizations improve throughput, reduce costs, and increase savings. Throughout his career, he has effectively planned, developed, and implemented change processes to improve profitability, productivity, and patient satisfaction.
Before joining BRG, Mr. Hawkins served as a senior leader of lean operations for a multinational healthcare services company. In this role, he used his project management, process design, and facilitation expertise to support the efficient and successful delivery of lean design engagements at more than ten hospitals.
Mr. Hawkins representative engagements and expertise before joining BRG included:
- Modeled and tracked cost savings, including increase in revenue for more than twenty-five hospitals, delivering $42 million impact.
- Developed safe, efficient, high-quality workflow designs in emergency departments, perioperative services, and inpatient throughput environments.
- Identified opportunity and value through detailed MS-DRG management/analysis, including physician engagement. Led teams in MS-DRG to drive revenue growth at numerous hospitals through physician-specific changes in practice variances.
- Trained and implemented changes with nursing staff, physician staff, and mid-level staff through evidence-based practice and education.
- Collaborated with C-level hospital executives to align physician practice with primary goals of hospitals.
BRG Healthcare Partners
Tenet Healthcare Corporation
Senior director, Lean Hospital Operations
Director, Clinical Best Practice
Physicians Emergency Care Associated LLC
Vice president operations/clinical liaison
City of Dallas Medical Response Team – Hurricane Katrina/Rita
Chief nursing officer
Methodist Medical Center, Emergency Room, Level III
Staff RN, shift coordinator
Children’s Medical Center, Emergency Room, Level I
Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives
Member, Emergency Nurses Association
Nurse Excellence Nominee 2005 Southwest – Nurse Week Magazine
EDS Byron Nelson Outstanding Volunteer 2006
DFW Great 100 Nurses Award 2005
Nursing License, Texas
Certified Project Manager
Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification
Baylor University Hankamer School of Business
University of Texas at Tyler School of Nursing