Stuart Witchell leads BRG’s Global Investigations + Strategic Intelligence practice in Asia-Pacific (APAC) and is co-leader of BRG’s APAC region. He has significant experience in the conduct of sophisticated business intelligence and reputational due diligence assignments in Asia and globally; major fraud and corruption investigations including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA); in multijurisdictional asset searches; in discreet strategies to assist with hostile takeovers; in provision of evidence for litigation support, including anti-dumping cases; in consulting on brand protection and product counterfeiting issues in emerging markets; and in crisis contingency planning and response.
Mr. Witchell is a founding member of International Risk Ltd, which was acquired by FTI Consulting in 2006. Before moving to Hong Kong, he was the Japan representative of a global business advisory firm, a position he held for eight years. He has more than twenty-five years of experience in the investigations, business intelligence, and risk mitigation industry in Asia and the former Soviet Bloc, including establishing a risk advisory division for a Big Four accounting firm in Japan; as well as seventeen years of experience as a diplomat in the British Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
During his last appointment in Japan with the government, his main responsibilities included liaison with Japanese government agencies, representing the views of the British government, and dealing with international criminal activity, including money laundering, organized crime, terrorism, and regional security issues.
Mr. Witchell is an accomplished public speaker, having made numerous presentations throughout the Asia region on a broad range of topics such as fraud and risk management. He has published widely on risk management, is regularly quoted by the media, and has appeared many times on feature presentations on television.
Senior managing director
Co-leader of the Asia Pacific Global Risk & Investigation Practice
2010 - 2016
Senior managing director
2006 - 2010
International Risk Limited
Senior vice president
2002 - 2006
2000 - 2002
Foreign and Commonwealth Office
London, Warsaw, East Berlin, and Tokyo
1983 - 2000
News & Insights
- ThinkSet, issue 7Winter 2019
- ThinkSet, issue 3Winter 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- September 11, 2018
- February 27, 2018
- October 26, 2017
News & Commentary
- BRG press releaseNovember 26, 2018
- Consultancy.orgNovember 19, 2018
- Financial TimesOctober 23, 2018
- BRG press releaseSeptember 11, 2018
- BRGJune 6, 2018
- Criminals Smuggling Gold into Japan Concealed Bars in Aeroplane Toilets as Gangs Grow More Sophisticated in Their TacticsSouth China Morning PostJanuary 31, 2018
- BRG press releaseOctober 30, 2017
- Financial TimesOctober 25, 2017
- Economic TimesOctober 21, 2017
- Asian Venture Capital JournalSeptember 27, 2017
- Conventus LawJune 23, 2017
- CDRJune 6, 2017
- BRG press releaseJune 5, 2017
- BRG press releaseMay 3, 2017
- BRG Expands Investigation & Strategic Intelligence Practice in Asia Pacific with Appointment of Stuart WitchellBRG press releaseOctober 19, 2016
- ThinkSet Podcast: Stuart Witchell more...