Stephen (Steve) Lothrop brings twenty years of experience helping healthcare providers optimize productivity and margins. He is an expert in labor management, particularly the balance of service, cost and quality, operations, physician relationship management, organizational structure, and corporate overhead improvements.
Before joining BRG | Prism, Mr. Lothrop held leadership positions in the healthcare practices of two global consulting firms and a hospital performance benchmarking firm. He also served as executive director of a hospital in Massachusetts, where he worked with executives and board members in the areas of market analysis, strategic development, and operations improvement.
Mr. Lothrop’s experience before joining BRG | Prism included:
- Led an engagement at a New England academic medical center (AMC) that was experiencing dramatic changes in reimbursement and cost pressures. Assisted with the development of a system-wide productivity monitoring system and organized front-line management education, delivering $26 million in savings, exceeding target by 30 percent.
- Coached senior leadership of an AMC to achieve major productivity improvements in departments throughout the hospital and implement a more effective organizational structure that flattened and streamlined management structure. The project exceeded the original savings target by 75 percent.
- Helped develop management tools, install quality and service indicators, and provide key management training for a partnership between a large teaching facility and group purchasing organization. Advised regarding the creation of a just-in-time inventory delivery process that delivered 15 percent in combined institutional savings on a unit cost basis.
- Trained front-line managers to identify customer needs and develop tools to measure continuous progress towards institutional goals through the use of short interval scheduling. Hospital savings equaled a 300 percent return on investment on the cost of services in one year, with dramatic measurable increases in quality and service.
- Worked with hospital staff to improve outpatient service delivery to emergent and non-emergent inpatient population. At completion of the engagement, the facility achieved all-time high patient satisfaction survey results.
- Helped lead design of rapid strategy deployment, serving as program manager, redesign specialist, and workshop facilitator to engage board members, physicians, managers, and staff in strategic planning and redesign of mission-critical processes. Performed market analysis, financial impact, and scenario planning.
McCallum Graduate School of Business, Bentley College
University of Massachusetts
Prism Healthcare Partners
Huron Consulting Group
The Healthcare Management Council, Inc.
Vice president, Operations
Director of Operational Redesign
West Hudson and Co. Inc.