Stephen Bucci has more than fifteen years of experience providing forensic accounting, corporate investigations, white-collar defense, financial statement analysis, and accounting/auditing services to organizations and their counsel involved in a variety of business issues and disputes. He previously performed financial statement audits for a number of entities.
Mr. Bucci’s areas of specialization include books and records investigations; fraud investigations; application of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), including revenue recognition and business combinations; compliance issues, including Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) reporting matters; application of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS); and litigation advisory services. As a consultant, he provides services to attorneys engaged in high-stakes investigations and white-collar civil and criminal cases.
Mr. Bucci has also led significant aspects of public company financial statement restatements. He has provided expert testimony on accounting and fraud issues, as well as consulting support in the preparation of expert witness testimony for a variety of issues.
Mr. Bucci’s select engagement experience includes:
- Investigated potential FCPA violations by a large manufacturing and engineering company with global sales.
- Drafted and issued an expert report addressing allegations of fraudulent transfer of assets in a large real estate development in Hawaii. During the engagement, he was deposed by opposing counsel.
- Investigated whistleblower claims of accounting fraud and defalcation of several hospitals, insurers, and the US government by a large physicians’ group.
- Performed an in-depth independent internal investigation of accounting issues raised by a Fortune 150 company and the SEC. He led teams across three continents to analyze how costs were accounted for; reviewed the accrual and capitalization of certain costs; reviewed financial statement adjustments made by the company; reviewed documentation supporting the books and records; reviewed account reconciliations prepared by the company; interviewed company personnel; advised counsel in its review of millions of documents; and participated in meetings with the SEC.
- Engaged by counsel for the former chief financial officer of a multibillion-dollar healthcare company with respect to allegations by the US government that the defendant defrauded state and federal Medicaid and other health and welfare programs through schemes of false reporting, misrepresentations, and accounting malfeasance.
- Advised counsel by applying forensic accounting procedures in a post-acquisition dispute related to representations and warranties of certain assets for a privately held medical device corporation.
Washington and Lee University
BA, Accounting and Business Administration, 1998
Navigant Consulting, Inc.
Arthur Andersen, LLP
Thomas Havey LLP
News & Insights
- American Health Lawyers AssociationOctober 6, 2015
- American Health Lawyers AssociationSeptember 28, 2015
- BRG newsletterMarch 2015
- BRG newsletterFebruary 2015
- BRG newsletterJanuary 2015
- BRG newsletterDecember 2014
- BRG newsletterNovember 10, 2014
- BRG newsletterOctober 2014
- BRG newsletterSeptember 2014
- BRG newsletterAugust 2014
- BRG newsletterJuly 2014
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Los Angeles Chapter - Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics
Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Virginia
Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF)