Michael Athanason is a senior valuation specialist leading BRG Corporate Finance’s Fund Services valuation team. Based in New York, he has over 25 years of valuation and corporate finance advisory experience and has helped clients plan and execute major acquisition, restructuring, recapitalization, and financial reporting projects.
He recently joined BRG from KPMG, where he was the U.S. national leader of the Alternative Investments Valuation practice and was previously the global leader of Duff & Phelps’ Alternative Investment Valuation Services business.
Michael specializes in advising on valuation and value management of alternative asset portfolios. He has worked for many of the largest global private equity, hedge, pension, and sovereign funds in establishing fair market valuation standards, procedures, and best practices in financial reporting. He is also active with many of the largest LP investors in the U.S. and Canada, assisting with GP due diligence, co-investment strategies, and investment reporting processes.
He has served clients in the United States, Russia, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, China, Japan, Korea, Germany, France, United Kingdom, Sweden, Greece, and the United Arab Emirates.
Florida Institute of Technology
BSc, Ocean Engineering
2011 - 2015
Duff & Phelps
Senior Managing Director
2004 - 2011
Ernst & Young
1993 - 2004
International Valuation Services - A Standard & Poor's Venture
1991 - 1993
1988 - 1991
News & Insights
- BRG Corporate FinanceQ1 2018
- Private Funds ManagementMarch 2018
- Caribbean BusinessAugust 5, 2017
- BRG white paperJune 2017
- BRGJuly 18, 2017
- BRGJuly 18, 2017
- P3 Bulletin 5:3June/July 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
News & Commentary
- BRG Advises Arizona State Retirement System in Acquisition of 50 Percent Stake in Mill Creek Residential Trust LLCBRG press releaseMay 2, 2018
- BRG Corporate Finance Wins Distinction as Best Valuation Service Provider at the HFM Alt Credit Intelligence 2018 AwardsBRG press releaseFebruary 12, 2018
- BRGJanuary 11, 2018
- Caribbean BusinessAugust 24, 2017
- Wall Street JournalJune 1, 2016
- HFMDecember 15, 2015
- BRG press releaseDecember 15, 2015
- Financier Worldwide.comJuly 2012