Finbarr O’Connor specializes in financial advisory and transaction services for the workout, troubled corporate, and alternative investment community.
Mr. O’Connor heads BRG’s Alternative Investment Advisory practice, providing a range of specialized advisory, asset management and valuation services to the investment management community. Mr. O’Connor has significant experience advising on mature funds, including fund restructurings, as well as serving as a responsible officer or replacement asset manager in the management of a number of mature private funds and distressed investment situations.
Mr. O’Connor has extensive restructuring and troubled company experience in the US and Europe and has led and negotiated complex restructurings, transactions, and recapitalizations on behalf of various stakeholders. Mr. O’Connor has worked with investor groups advising on M&A and distressed transactions across a wide range of industries, including financial services, real estate and hospitality, and alternative investment management. Mr. O’Connor has significant experience dealing with complex capital structures and investment vehicles, including CMBS.
Mr. O’Connor has acted as a fiduciary in many corporate and fund situations. He currently serves as the Litigation Trustee in the Extended Stay Hotels estate and acted as the responsible party overseeing asset sales and the wind down of Newland International Properties, the developer of the Trump Ocean Club Panama.
Prior to joining BRG, Mr. O’Connor was a partner at Capstone Advisory Group. Prior to Capstone, Mr. O’Connor was a partner and COO of a hedge fund focused on European distressed debt and private situations investments. Prior to that, Mr. O’Connor was a Senior Managing Director and European restructuring practice leader at FTI Consulting based in London.
University College of Dublin
Senior managing director
News & Insights
- GP-Led Transactions: A Way for Limited Partners to Get the Transparency, Analysis, and Options They Want in Complex DealsBenefitsPROJune 5, 2019
- BRGMay 9, 2019
- PEI PerspectivesDecember 2018/January 2019
- ThinkSet 6November 4, 2018
- Law360April 14, 2017
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
News & Commentary
- Pensions & InvestmentsMay 27, 2019
- Institutional Limited Partners AssociationApril 11, 2019
- RFG Weekly RoundupApril 28, 2017
- M&A AdvisorJanuary 28, 2016
- BRG press releaseJune 1, 2015
Institute of Chartered Accountants
- Alternative Investment Advisory
- Automobile & Components - Corporate Finance
- Consumer Products & Apparel - Corporate Finance
- Entertainment & Media - Corporate Finance
- Financial Services - Corporate Finance
- Manufacturing, Metals & Mining - Corporate Finance
- Real Estate & Construction - Corporate Finance
- Transportation - Corporate Finance