Dan White has had a range of US commercial, regulatory, and arbitration energy experience and responsibilities over his 36-year career, including 18 years of international experience in over twenty countries. He has been involved in markets and business opportunities assessments, contract negotiations, project structuring, strategic business planning, expert testimony, due diligence reviews for investors and lenders, valuation, operational planning, risk management program development, and managing businesses. His activities have related to natural gas, pipelines, liquefied natural gas (LNG), oil and oil products, coal, electricity, industrial efficiency, and greenhouse gas emissions.
Mr. White has advised clients including small municipal gas companies, infrastructure developers, utilities, governments, regulators, industrial plants, and business development, and some of the world’s largest energy companies and lenders.
Mr. White was an official at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission involved in both natural gas commodity and pipeline restructuring. For five years he was executive director of a trade association of power producers, participating in numerous federal and state energy regulatory proceedings. He led and grew a North American consulting practice encompassing natural gas, oil, and coal to be a leading participant in market, infrastructure, and operations assessment. Mr. White then grew an international energy practice with offices worldwide and worked in countries such as Russia, Mexico, Colombia, Chile, Venezuela, Nigeria, Ghana, Thailand, and China, and throughout Europe. He also has developed carbon emission reduction methodologies and projects under both the Kyoto Protocol’s carbon credit program and the voluntary Gold Standard program.
Mr. White’s experience includes:
- Negotiated natural gas contracts for a smelter in Nigeria, for the first independent power project in Venezuela, and for a 1,000-megawatt project in Mexico.
- Advised the world-leading natural gas producer on its natural gas, LNG export, and marketing and trading strategies.
- Lead consultant in planning, valuing, and establishing a power and gas trading company for a partnership of two major international companies.
- Led a team that prepared a comprehensive review of China’s electricity market in support of a significant investment initiative.
- Expert witness on natural gas contracting practices, in a British arbitration proceeding, for the owner of power plants in Asia.
- Designed the tariff for an international pipeline development.
- A principal author of a report prepared for a European regulatory agency assessing the European shale gas prospects in light of the US experience.
- Assessed several shale gas companies for a potential European investor.
- Senior advisor to lender due diligence review of a proposed power plant in northern Chile, including LNG fuel supply and logistics, and interface of fuel supply with power grid operations.
- Lead market consultant in developing a global business plan for a large US utility.
- Prepared a corporate-wide natural gas, oil, and coal procurement strategy for an industrial with ninety-one facilities throughout the United States, including procedures to identify, track, and measure performance. Negotiated implementing contracts with marketers, pipelines, and local distribution companies.
University of Washington
BA, Economics and English
Springland Associates LLC
2009 - 2013
Chief operating officer
2006 - 2008
Pace Global Energy Services
Executive vice president
2000 - 2006
Senior vice president
1996 - 2000
1994 - 1996
1992 - 1993
US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission
1978 - 1992
US Government Distinguished Service Award
News & Insights
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- September 16, 2014
News & Commentary
- Central Penn Business JournalJune 27, 2014
- Press releaseMay 7, 2014
USAssociation of Energy Economists
National Capital Area Chapter