Dr. Andrew Agwunobi is chief executive officer and executive vice president for health affairs at UConn Health. Dr. Agwunobi previously served as chief executive of Providence Healthcare, a five-hospital region of Providence Health & Services in Spokane, Washington. He also held the positions of president and chief executive officer of Grady Health System in Atlanta; president and CEO of Tenet South Fulton Hospital in East Point, Georgia; chief operating officer of fourteen-hospital St. Joseph Health System in California; and secretary of the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration. He has also served as chief of the Main Pediatric Urgent-Care Department for Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates in Boston.
A board-certified pediatrician, Dr. Agwunobi received an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business. In 2003, Tenet Healthcare awarded him its “CEO Circle of Excellence” award. In 2005, he was named one of the "100 Most Influential Georgians” by Georgia Trend Magazine. In 2007, he was named one of the "50 Most Powerful Physician Executives" by Modern Healthcare magazine.
Stanford Business School
Howard University Teaching Hospital
2008 - 2011
Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
2007 - 2008
St. Joseph Health System, Orange County, CA
Executive vice president and chief operating officer
2006 - 2007
Grady Health System, Atlanta, GA
President and chief executive officer
2003 - 2006
Tenet South Fulton Hospital, Atlanta, GA
President and chief executive officer
2001 - 2003
Harvard Vanguard Medical Association, Boston, MA
Chief of Main Pediatric Urgent Care
1997 - 1999
50 Most Powerful Physician Executives
Modern Healthcare Magazine, 2007
CEO of the Year, Trailblazer category
Atlanta Business League, 2005
96 Most Influential Atlantans
Atlanta Business Chronicle, 2005
100 Most Influential Georgians
Georgia Trend Magazine, 2005
Speaker and Citizen of the Year
Atlanta Peachtree Rotary, 2004
CEO Circle of Excellence award
Tenet Healthcare, 2003
Agent of Change award
Catalyst Magazine, 2002
BRG is engaged in a comprehensive performance improvement project focused on reducing labor, human resources, and non-labor costs.
Experts now with BRG led an engagement focused on reducing labor and non-labor costs, and improving revenue cycle performance.
BRG led a comprehensive performance improvement engagement for a mid-size community hospital.
A three-hospital academic medical center selected BRG to begin a multiyear engagement to help develop a clinical redesign framework, in addition to traditional performance improvement methods, and achieve its targeted expense savings.
BRG consultants led a comprehensive performance improvement engagement that focused on labor and non-labor cost reduction, revenue cycle improvement, and clinical documentation.
BRG performed a comprehensive performance improvement engagement that focused on labor and non-labor cost reduction, clinical documentation, and program and services review.
Worked with Academic Medical Center to help build dynamic capabilities that improved physician engagement and modified physician practices through detailed facilitation and data analytics review.
News & Insights
- Health Administration PressJuly 14, 2017
- California Management Review 58(4)Summer 2016
- Huffington PostJune 6, 2014
- Huffington PostDecember 2, 2013
- Huffington PostAugust 20, 2013
- Huffington PostJuly 16, 2013
- Huffington PostJune 24, 2013
- Huffington PostJune 19, 2013
- Electronic Health ReporterMay 16, 2013
- Electronic Health ReporterApril 16, 2013
Seminars & Speaking Engagements
News & Commentary
- Hartford Business.comFebruary 8, 2016
- U.S. News & World ReportAugust 5, 2015
- Bloomberg BNAAugust 4, 2015
- WTNH.comNovember 25, 2014
- AMN HealthcareMay 23, 2014
- ModernHealthcare.comMay 10, 2014
- The Frederick News-PostOctober 3, 2013
- ModernHealthcare.comMay 25, 2013
- AMN HealthcareJanuary 9, 2013
- Becker's Hospital ReviewOctober 19, 2012
- Becker's Hospital ReviewSeptember 21, 2012
- Press releaseSeptember 19, 2012
- Press releaseAugust 6, 2012
- Press releaseDecember 1, 2011
Adjunct faculty, Healthcare MBA program