Peter Altschuler is a seasoned healthcare consultant with more than ten years of expertise in physician operations and project management.
He has helped hospitals, health systems, and academic medical centers (AMCs) across the country increase revenue, reduce expenses, and transform performance, with a track record of delivering as much as $10 million in annual benefit.
Mr. Altschuler leverages his deep knowledge and experience to help guide healthcare executives through initiatives involving physician alignment and compensation, staffing, clinical quality and efficiency, patient access and throughput, and patient and physician satisfaction.
Mr. Altschuler’s representative engagements and expertise before joining BRG included:
- Served as project director for a New England community-based three-hospital system that was losing $1 million a month and facing credit-default. He implemented cash-flow initiatives such as eliminating physician and non-provider staff, consolidating clinic sites, and increasing patient throughput at a lower cost per visit, resulting in positive cash flow and 7-point increase in net margin. He also sold additional add-on work related to renegotiating salaries of contracted providers.
- Led the sales process for a $10 million staff and management reduction for an AMC in Wisconsin by analyzing staff volume while assessing leadership capabilities and span-of-control opportunities. The project achieved a high target of savings.
- Assessed cost savings, synergies, and management aptitudes of two merging health systems in upstate New York. Advised on operational best practices and financial savings of over $10 million per year.
- Converted 50 percent of sale assessments into long-term implementation projects ranging in fees from $600,000 to $2 million.
- Achieved $10.1 million in annual recurring savings, exceeding the project goal of $8.2 million, while co-leading the implementation phase at a Midwest multihospital system.
- Conducted a medical manpower study for a client in the Midwest evaluating market demand and provider supply and determining recruiting needs by specialty.
Prism Healthcare Partners
Huron Consulting Group
Manager, Physician Services
Certified Public Accountant, State of Illinois
Chicago Youth Programs, Auxiliary Board Member
Areas of Expertise
University of Michigan, Stephen M. Ross School of Business
University of Michigan
BA, Political Science