Paula Harms, RN, FACHE, is a seasoned healthcare executive with over twenty years of healthcare management and consulting expertise.
A specialist in perioperative services, she has extensive experience leading hospitals through successful reorganizations while improving their performance with sustainable results.
Prior to joining BRG, Ms. Harms held the position of senior director at one of the largest providers of outpatient surgery in the United States. In this role, she mentored physician leaders, designed and implemented tools and cost savings methodology, and improved processes. She previously founded and managed an independent nursing consulting firm, which focused on leading multidisciplinary teams to develop executable operational plans supporting system and hospital strategies.
Ms. Harms’ representative engagements and expertise before joining BRG included:
- Mentored leaders to develop key committees to support and lead change with data-driven and action-oriented attributes resulting in sustainable redesign.
- As interim executive director, executed organizational strategy through achievement of surgeon recruitment goals and implementation of methodologies.
- Reorganized care service delivery to meet system strategic goals, achieving optimal resource consumption and decreasing care variation.
- Redesigned departmental capacity and staffing to align with demand, which led to 15 percent increase in productivity improvement.
- Led cost-savings reduction efforts, leading to improved departmental performance within perioperative services, ambulatory settings, and ambulatory emergency departments, resulting in savings of up to $1.5 million.
Prism Healthcare Partners
Surgical Care Affiliates
PH Sync, Inc.
President and owner
St. James Hospital and Health Centers
Executive director, Peri-operative Services
Fellow, American College of Healthcare Executives
American Organization of Nurse Executives
Association of periOperative Registered Nurses
American Society of PeriAnesthesia Nurses
Emergency Nurses Association
Northern Illinois University
Chamberlin College of Nursing
University of Tennessee