Electronic Information in Criminal Investigations and Proceedings
Ignatius Grande, Denis Walsh, Patrick Linehan of Steptoe & Johnson, and Hon. James Francis addressed how electronic data that is saved to locations including computer hard drives, mobile devices, and the cloud has become a frequent target of criminal search warrants and is often used in the investigation and prosecution of crimes.
- Industry push toward data protection and encryption
- Electronic data in the context of search warrants and motions to suppress
- Preservation and spoliation in criminal matters
- Technological self-incrimination/obtaining passwords and biometric authentication
- Handling privileged data in criminal investigations