Ethical Challenges in Conducting Higher Education Investigations
BRG and Barnes & Thornburg LLP hosted a webinar on ethical issues faced by academic institutions when conducting investigations. Topics included:
- Preserving privileges and managing communications when investigations may be subject to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requests
- Data privacy and security challenges, including examination of social media accounts
- Witness interviewing restrictions and guidelines
- Determining when student conduct should be reported to law enforcement authorities
- Limitations of dormitory room privacy
Speakers included Peggy Daley; Vincent P. Schmeltz, a partner at Barnes & Thornburg LLP; and Donna McNeely, executive director of university ethics and compliance at the University of Illinois.
CLE credit was provided in Illinois and Indiana.
View the on-demand webinar. (no CLE credit for on-demand viewing)